Friday, July 22, 2011

I will not watch the last Harry Potter movie,

Because its not just another movie. It wasn't just a novel either. It was a world I literally lived in. You weren't just a novel character, ever. You were a person I understood.

Because I wasn't just another fan. I was someone who talked alone in my room, mimicking conversations between you and your friends. Because I literally slept with those books under my pillow. Because I remained awake night after night reading in the lamplight, only to duck inside the blanket on hearing the slightest noise around me.

Because I hated the movies for the twisted disfigured story they showed, but I still couldn't keep myself from watching them over and over again. Because I felt genuinely excited about wearing a S.P.E.W. badge on my chest when I went to see The Goblet of Fire. Because I keep a secret photograph of mine, wearing black robes and a pointy hat, holding a black stick I called wand. Because I thought that a Harry Potter bookmark was the most intimate gift ever given to me. Because my friends made me cut the cake on Hermione's birthday, and I thought it was cute. Because I own a Harry Potter towel, still.

All this wasn't because I felt Harry Potter was some cult. It was, and is, because it just felt natural to follow you. It was because you taught me that rules can be broken, and that its not a crime to play while working. Because I was a person who thought friends were a myth and friendship was a waste of time, before you made me realise what it truly could be. Because you made me stand up when I was scared. Because it was your story that inspired me to start writing in the first place. Because people may think I am still a kid, but the truth is, I grew up with you.

Every year since I read the books for the first time, I waited, with baited breath, on pins and needles, for the next book, the next movie. And now the wait is over. If I watch the movie, it all ends with a note of finality. If I watch the movie, there is nothing to look forward to. So where does one look, if there is nothing ahead? Look back and reminisce, or just close the eyes? Because, you know, some journeys are so much more beautiful than their final destination. And because this, for me, was a journey of a lifetime.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel the same way about harry potter, and so many other stories that already ended. It sucks to know that you will never get to feel the same way you used to while reading/watching it and anticipating the next part. Hell, even the authors are dead.

Tapan Avasthi said...

Your sentiments are admirable. Respect! _/\_

Tinto J. Alencherry said...

Hey watch the movie.... its such a crap one.... I like harry potter movie very much its a good comedy movie series..... with fantastic characters....

Oh the end with "after 19 years" subtitle is very funny... all the main characters.... aged...(at least they tried to create an impression)

If you like delhi belly.... you will definitely like this.... there are lot to enjoy.

For inspirational things its enough to see Avatar/Lord of the rings....

Unknown said...

Come on... Let's watch it... For the sake of Box Office.

Anirban said...

Well written. Strong sentiments. I wonder how long can you hold back from watching that one last movie out of a series of 8. No justice for Radcliffe? :)
Still remember the good day of renting Chamber of Secrets CD and watching on my decrepit PC. Sad that it all had to end. Even sadder that Harry and others had to be shown as parents in the end (oops).
Nevertheless admire your adulation for the novels. They definitely were an integral part of our best years.

Radha said...

@Anon, Tapan, Monty: Well, only a true blue HP fan can understand these feelings. Btw, I did watch the movie, and almost cried in the end. Partly because it was over and partly because it was the crappiest ending ever. They completely destroyed the story JKR created over the years.

@Atif: I did watch it, but not for Box Office's sake :P

@Tinto: Shut up and get lost!